In 1837 James W. Little, a militia officer and land speculator of neighbouring Raleigh Township, purchased land at the intersection of Ridge Road and Communication Road, the latter planned by Lieutenant-Governor John Graves Simcoe to connect the town of Chatham with Lake Erie. The area consisted of fertile farmland noted for sugar beets, tomatoes, and corn. Blenheim’s primary resource was timber. Once the bush was cleared adequately in about 1900, farming superseded timber as the key resource of Blenheim due to the area’s rich soil and ideal climate.
By 1874, Blenheim had a full list of occupants varying in professions from dentistry to carpentry. In 1866, a town hall was built, fit for a village which was ready to emerge as an important voice in Kent County. Blenheim became an official town in 1885.
As cars became increasingly popular, Blenheim paved its first street in 1920, which opened a period of enormous growth. The Prohibition gave Blenheim a chance to grow, as many men were involved in illegal rum-running operations for larger centres. In 1924, W.G. Thompson opened a grain mill for local farmers, which is still present today.
Blenheim grew through the “Starving 30s”, and the “War-Torn 40s”. The period of 1950 to the present time has seen Blenheim mature into a town of 4,800.
Today Blenheim’s claim to fame is the RM Classic Car Exhibit. A guided tour gives a close-up view of more than 50 classic automobiles from the past century.
All in all, Blenheim is a wonderful place to live!